Sunday, January 10, 2016

Song of nostalgia

        Do you remember? I don’t know if it was the first but I was sure it was one of those first moments when we had the time to ourselves. It was raining heavily, the pitter-patter of rain on the roof of your car and the raindrops streaked through the windshield and windows like falling tears. I may not remember what we did before and how you ended up taking me home. Probably because it was raining and I was running late for dinner. We were quiet and careful with our words, not wanting to disturb the moment. Then this song came up and you said it was your favorite. I couldn’t guess what it was but it sounds really nice and melancholic, brimming with earnest love. You didn’t tell me the title then and you left me guessing, my eyebrows meeting at the center and my face scrunched in thought. I finally guessed the artist. We both smiled and let the song envelope us. I finally heard the full song on the days that followed and learned the title.

        Until now, I secretly love that song despite people repeatedly playing it until it makes me and most people sick. I hate hearing it when played on radios or by other people but I love listening to it secretly on my own. I know it’s weird but the song takes me back to the time when we were still carefully feeling our steps towards each other, prodding each other’s barriers gently until we can finally reach out to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment