Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Simple pleasures in a box

I’ve seen this picture on the internet of a jar filled with little rolled papers labeled, “Grateful Jar.” It’s a jar filled with everyday little blessings, circumstances or anything to be thankful for everyday. I saw this last year and thought it a great idea! I vowed to make my own “grateful jar” come 2016.

Before the New Year came knocking on our door, I made grateful jars for my partner and a grateful box for me. I just recycled the containers for the little slips of everyday blessings. The two tiny jars I got from my sister before she left for Australia more than a year ago. Back then I didn’t know what to do with them. I want to put something special inside and I couldn’t find anything special enough until last year when I decided to convert the jars into containers of simple pleasures. I decided to make labels for the jars and gave them to my partner. I left instructions in the letter I gave him for our monthsary on what must he do with the jars. I hope he fills them up everyday.

As for me, I used an old pink “jewelry box” that I got from someone that I used to know. It was actually a “freebie” from a chocolate bar? I think it was Cadbury. The bar of chocolate came with a pink box with a mirror inside and two cute keys. I never once used it and just let it gather dust under my garments bag until now. I never wanted to use something that reeks of the past but I don’t like things going to waste so I decided to label it my “Simple Pleasures” box, the same label as I tied around the jars. Everyday I make it a habit to write a simple thing, circumstance, situation or person that I consider a blessing.


There were days that I forgot to write something for the box and I feel guilty the next day. Sometimes, if I remember something that I’m really grateful for the day before, I hastily write it down the next day. However, there are times when I really forget about it or I can’t think of anything happy or pleasurable for the day and I wonder if I should stop.

Later on I realized I should continue writing for the days ahead. It made me think that there may be days when I think there’s no good in it but there will always be better days ahead. I should continue to write because there will always be good in every day and you never know what good tidings the future will bring. At the end of the year I would have fun reading the simple pleasures that made up my year. I guess it’s not yet too late to start yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment