Saturday, January 17, 2015

Abused Generosity

Mother told me this story about an old woman who keeps on visiting our little sari-sari store way before I was born. She would give food to the old woman and ask her about who she is and how she’s doing and where are her relatives. The old woman replied that she’s separated from her family and wants to go home to the province and be reunited with them. My mother, being compassionate, fed her and gave her money so she can return home. Surprisingly the woman kept coming back so my mother wondered why she didn’t return home yet after giving her money. My mom then found out that it was just a modus operandi. The old woman actually lives nearby and tells stories about returning home so she can ask for money and be given free food. My mother was terribly hurt over being deceived. After that my mother became cautious of people who are asking money to go home to his or her family. Mother just wishes that whatever assistance she gave that old woman; she put it to good use.

This is another old writeup I composed. I forget when exactly but I think I was still in college or about to graduate or a fresh grad.

No comments:

Post a Comment